George Nattress

George_Nattress_Lord_Burghleys_Hospital_Almshouses_Mother_children_nanny_rowing_River_Welland_Stamford.jpg (96255 bytes)
(click on image to enlarge)

untitled
(Lord Burghley's Hospital / Almshouses)

by George Nattress
watercolor and opaque body color (gouache), 18 x 10 7/8 inches

George_Nattress_Lord_Burghleys_Hospital_Almshouses_Mother_children_nanny_rowing_River_Welland_Stamford_DETAIL.jpg (108304 bytes)
(detail)


George_Nattress_Lord_Burghleys_Hospital_Almshouses_Mother_children_nanny_rowing_River_Welland_Stamford_SIGNATURE.jpg (66611 bytes)
Signed lower left: "George Nattress"

Notes:

mounted on paper board

Probably painted during British fl. time period 1866 - 1888

Probably painted from or on the banks below the "Town Bridge" (A43 St. Mary's Hill/High Street St. Martin's), town meadows Wothorpe Road footbridge in the background.

Condition: Watercolor on paper laid on paper board, watercolor paper has darkened with age, some acid burns near edges from an old mat. Paper board backing does not seem to be affecting the watercolor paper, may be a very old board (pre-modern pulp acid paper) possibly mounted by the artist or his framer - other Nattress works are listed as "Paper laid on Board" such as his "Village Church" sold at Eldred's Auction House in 2011 and his "Old Manor House" from 1877.

Painting is untitled but our research has indentified the subject as:

Lord Burghley's Hospital
AKA: Lord Burghley's Almshouses
STAMFORD, LINCOLNSHIRE, GB
On the River Welland

Contemporary image:
Lord Burghley's Hospital
Copyright Stefan Czapski (Creative Commons Licence)

from PastScape.org:

Lord Burghley's Hospital was founded in 1597 on the site of the Medieval Hospital of St John the Baptist and St Thomas the Martyr.

The medieval hospital had been founded around 1174 and confirmed in 1190 under Peterborough Abbey for the use of pilgrims and the poor. It had apparently fallen into dis-use by the 16th century when only the chapel continued in use. It was bought in 1549 by William Cecil and was maintained as an almshouse by 1595, and was officially endowed by Lord Burghley in 1597 when it was to house 13 old men, one of whom was to serve as warden.

The surviving building consists of a long reverse L-shape plan of two storeys. The late 16th century work is at the east end of the site and includes a 12th century clasping butress in Barnack Stone. There are remains of an ex situ 12th century Norman arch of backwater and flat butress on the east corner of river front, and a small Norman capital is re-set in the street front of the east range. The establishment was extended westwards around 1616, and alterations continued to be made until 1964 when the structure was substantially altered.

ESTATE INFO:

Lord Burghley's Hospital is part of Burghley House Stamford, one of the largest and grandest houses of the first Elizabethan Age.
http://www.burghley.co.uk

 



 

Artist Information

name: George Nattress
dates: (1844- 1909)

education:  student of the architect, Sir John Loughborough Pearson

known for: British Artist, Architect,
Watercolorist


Further Biographical Information

George Nattress

George_Nattress_Abbey_Farm_Montacute_Priory_Gatehouse_girl with_flowers.jpg (99560 bytes)

(click on image to enlarge)

untitled
(The Priory Gatehouse, Montacute)

by George Nattress
watercolor, 19.25 x 10.5 inches

George_Nattress_Abbey_Farm_Montacute_Priory_Gatehouse_girl with_flowers_detail.jpg (174599 bytes)
(detail)


George_Nattress_Abbey_Farm_Montacute_Priory_Gatehouse_girl with_flowers_sig.jpg (50123 bytes)
Signed lower right: George Nattress

Notes:

mounted on paper board

Probably painted during British fl. time period 1866 - 1888

George Nattress has an 1877 exhibited paintings at the Royal Academy listing: #763 Montacute House, Somerset

Condition: Watercolor on paper laid on paper board, watercolor paper has darkened with age, some acid burns near edges from an old mat. Paper board backing does not seem to be affecting the watercolor paper, may be a very old board (pre-modern pulp acid paper) possibly mounted by the artist or his framer - other Nattress works are listed as "Paper laid on Board" such as his "Village Church" sold at Eldred's Auction House in 2011 and his "Old Manor House" from 1877.

Painting is untitled but our research has indentified the subject as:

Abbey Farm, Montacute, Somerset, England, AKA: "The Priory Gatehouse, Montacute", "Montacute Priory"

Contemporary image:
Abbey Farm Montacute
from imagesofengland.org.uk © Mr John H. Sparkes

Abbey Farmhouse, Montacute
(Wikipedia page)

Abbey Farmhouse is a detached house in Montacute, Somerset, England, which incorporates the gateway of the medieval Montacute Priory. It was built in the 16th century and has been designated as a Grade I listed building.

After the dissolution of the monasteries the property became a farmhouse, but by 1633 it was 'almost desolate'. By 1782 it was a revitalised farm, remaining part of the Phelips estate until 1918.

There are 2.5 acres (1.0 ha) of walled gardens, which have been laid out since 1963.

A long distance public footpath, the Monarch's Way runs along the course of a Roman (or earlier) trackway immediately in front of the building, through the gate incorrectly labelled as "private" in the photo. This path leads to Ham Hill Country Park via fields and woodland